Magnetic is a technology company with a marketing platform for
enterprises, brands and agencies. Our prospecting, remarketing, and
merchandising solutions help marketers find, keep and bring back
customers across channels and devices. These solutions are powered by
our unique data including purchase intent and behavioral insights.
Our corporate headquarters, located in Silicon Alley, includes a
fully stocked kitchen, our very own pool hall for an afternoon billiards
match, and a beautiful office space designed to showcase our culture of
transparency and collaboration. And if youre an urban outdoors
enthusiast, Madison Square Park and all it has to offer is just one
Magnetic is a respected marketing and advertising technology company
with established lines of business. The company is aggressively
investing in expanding its high-quality data science and decision
Our current AdTech platform serves up hundreds of thousands of
real-time ads each second. Our complementary MarTech CRM platform
provides billions of product recommendations to hundreds of millions of
web shoppers across many of the webs most popular retail sites. We are
bringing these two capabilities together based on an improved unified
view of the customer and radically upgrading our decision automation.
This upgrade activity represents a substantial re-architecting of our
existing platform and is expected to accommodate well in excess of 1
million queries per second. From a technology perspective this is a
challenging environment requiring millisecond latencies from a
distributed service oriented architecture in AWS. The mission is simple,
to extract as much predictive power as possible from the incoming
real-time data streams, and apply that power via optimizations, in a way
that delivers greatest commercial value to our clients and the
company. Our solutions are only as good as our answers and we hold
ourselves to account in everything we do by using extensive performance
We use many of the high-throughput and big data technologies that one
might expect including: Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, HBase, Pig, Impala,
Parquet, Memcached, VW, XGBoost, LibFM, and others. Our preferred
coding languages are Python, Java and Scala. As a Senior Engineer, Big
Data and Data Science, you will help us understand the intents of
consumers, and our ability to influence outcomes, as expressed through
their digital interactions. You will work with product management and
data science teams to build resilient smart products that make informed
decisions in real time based on the data.
Characteristics of the likely successful candidate:
- An outstanding engineer from a good university
- 5+ years of experience in software development, a substantial part
of which was gained in a high-throughput, decision-automation related
- Broad experience in manipulating big data using technologies like Spark, Kafka, Hadoop and Impala
- Experience with AWS
- Experience deploying solutions for data-science-driven decisioning at scale using technologies such as VW, XGBoost and LibFM
- Produce high-quality code in Python, Java, Scala or all
- Passionate about testing, and with extensive experience in Agile teams using SCRUM you consider build automation to be the norm
- An independent thinker who considers the operating context of what he/she is developing
- Believes that the best data pipelines run unattended for weeks and months on end.
- Follows data development best practices, and enjoy helping others learn to do the same.
- Well-versed in (or contributes to) data-centric open source projects.
- Reads Hacker News, blogs, or stays on top of emerging tools in some other way
- Proven ability in a high-performance, collaborative environment
This job is no longer active.